If you are seriously considering weight training to build muscle, there are a few important aspects to take into account, while it is also important to be aware of the dangers involved, especially if you are new to lifting weights.
Here are a few tips from the pros to ensure that your fitness goals are achieved.
- Essential Equipment – You could book a course at your local gym, which would give you access to all their state-of-the-art equipment and booking an hour with a personal trainer will ensure that you know what you are doing. If you would rather workout at home, invest in a pair of adjustable dumbbells and some weights, and with many YouTube videos that demonstrate a range of routines from beginner to advanced. You will need a bench and a rack, while a full-length mirror also helps.
- Dietary Issues – Search with Google for a leading supplements store where you can buy optimum nutrition isolate whey protein, which will really help your muscles to grow. There’s a lot of free resources online to help you create a weekly diet plan and this will ensure that your body has all the nutrients required for serious workouts.
- Warm Up Routine – It is never a good idea to get straight into a weightlifting session, as this could cause an injury. Rather you should do a 5-minute stretch session prior to lifting any weights, which will warm up your muscles and prepare them for strenuous activity.
- Start with Light Weights – Rather than trying to lift heavy weights, start with lighter sets and gradually increase by 5-10% until you can do 3 sets of reps at a specific weight. Remember that the goal is not how much weight you can lift, rather it is to lift weights that are suitable for your size and physique.
- Rest Between Sets – You should rest for at least 60 seconds between sets, to give your muscles a chance to recover; deep breathing at this time is also recommended to increase the oxygen intake. Some people stand up and walk around after each set, which is a good idea, as this helps with recovery.
- Rest Days – The normal routine is 2 days working out and one day of rest, which gives your body the time it needs to recover.
Make sure that you are in good health prior to embarking on a weight training regime and if you are on medication for any reason, consult with your doctor before starting your training.